Since its original release in 1964, the Mustang Bass has been one of Fender’s most enduring bass designs, finding its way into the hands of bassists ranging from The Rolling Stones to My Chemical Romance. This updated version of the short-scale underground hero adds the power of our venerable P Bass® and J Bass® pickups to the traditional Mustang design for flexible, thunderous bass tone with smooth playing feel and slick visual style.
Powered by a time-tested pair of pickups, the Mustang Bass PJ is packed with flexible tone that can match any sonic requirement. A punchy split single-coil P Bass® middle pickup is joined by a growling Jazz Bass neck pickup in an unbeatable pairing that combines the best of both sonic worlds. Master volume and tone controls, along with a conventional three-way pickup switch get you to all available sounds. Not only is the 30” scale more comfortable for smaller hands, it reduces string tension, creating a looser playing feel that lends itself to nimble playing styles while adding a fat, “blooming” quality to the lower notes and sweetening the higher notes. Topped by a 9.5”-radius Pau Ferro fingerboard with 19 medium jumbo frets, the “C”-shaped maple neck is comfortable for all playing styles.
This bass’ smaller body easily fits those with smaller frames while maintaining Fender’s classic stylistic appeal, and is also great for energetic stage performances thanks to its light weight. In a nod to its roots, this modernized instrument includes vintage-style Fender tuning machines and a vintage-style disc string tree, along with a four-bolt neck plate and standard four-saddle bridge—all finished in gleaming chrome. A classic instrument, upgraded with features for the modern bassist, the short-scale Mustang Bass PJ is sure to please with its flexible sound, easy playing feel and slick style.
- 30” scale length; “C”-shaped maple neck
- One P Bass split single-coil middle pickup, one J Bass® single-coil bridge pickup
- 9.5”-radius Pau Ferro fingerboard with 19 medium jumbo frets
- Four-saddle bridge; four-bolt neck plate; vintage-style tuning machines
- Master Volume and Tone controls; three-way pickup switch
- String Nut: Synthetic Bone
- Nut Width: 1.650" (42 mm)
- Truss Rod Nut: 3/16" Hex Adjustment
- Neck Finish: Satin Polyurethane
- Fingerboard: Pau Ferro
- Position Inlays: White Dot
- Pickguard: 4-Ply Aged White Pearloid
- Control Knobs: Vintage Style Black Plastic Jazz Bass®
- Strings: Fender® USA, NPS, (Gauges .045 - .105)